Shabby background

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Huck Finn

I just finished reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- great book actually. It's one of Mark Twain's crowning achievements how he is able to get away with so many outrageous happenings on account of it being Huck who is the narrator and so therefore they are "his" beliefs coming through in the tale. Anyway, I like the book because I love getting inside Huck's head and seeing how he sees things and feels about them. He isn't very smart or pure and yet seems to outsmart people and come around to do the right thing somehow.

My point: My favorite line of the adventure is this- "It's the little things that smoothes people's roads the most". He doesn't speak the best english, he doesn't always think before he does things and he messes up A LOT, but he realizes that a kindness goes a long way and he chooses to do things that will smooth the road of life for others. So there's your thought for the day!

No comments: