Shabby background

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Peter

Peter has always struck me as an interesting character. He's always trying to jump the gun, always so sure in all his actions and speeches. What I like most about Peter is that He wasn't afraid to look stupid in front on Jesus, at least not from my perspective. Take a look-

"Jesus said to them, 'Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.' So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish. That disciple whom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, 'It is the Lord!' When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment, for he was stripped for work, and threw himself into the sea..for they were not far from land, about a hundred yards off" John 21:6-8.

He threw himself into the sea? Can you picture it? John says, "It's Jesus!" and Peter clumsily puts ON his clothes and jumps overboard. It was a hundred yards, a few minutes delay would have kept him dry, but a few minutes he could not spare.He had to get to Jesus. It meant everything to him. Sure, you can say he's trying to make up for denying Christ, trying to show Jesus he's back being a good guy, but I think by now Peter is well aware that Jesus knows the heart instead of the actions. I think Peter genuinely thinks of nothing else but getting to Jesus as quickly as possible, forsaking being cool, looking good and saving face. Peter knew the importance of being near Jesus.

I also thought about Jesus washing the disciples' feet. Look how Peter acts here:

"Jesus came to Simon Peter, who said to Him, 'Lord, do you wash my feet?' Jesus answered him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.' Peter said to Him, 'You shall never wash my feet.' Jesus answered him, 'If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.' Simon Peter said to Him, 'Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!'" 13:6-9.

I love seeing how feisty Peter acts in life. He's a go-getter. He probably needed John and the other disciples to calm him down and make him think realistically about certain situations because he wanted to do something, wanted to take action and make change probably a little faster than was sometimes good. But look here, He comes unashamed to Jesus, asking him questions, wanting to know more. He says, 'are you really going to wash my feet? Shouldn't I be washing yours?' And instead of just following the crowd because everyone else is sitting in awe He says, 'nope, not going to happen. I should be washing yours not you washing mine. You can't do that Jesus, you're no servant, if anything we're your servants.' But Jesus had a lesson or two to teach Peter about true servant hood. When Peter understood that Jesus wanted to serve, wanted to cleanse him of the dirt that so easily clung to him, Peter got over-zealous and said, 'wash all of me!' But yet again, Jesus in all His wisdom says, 'you don't need it, Peter. You are clean everywhere but this one part of you. I'll fix it, I'll make it clean. You just let me, that's your part.' Peter didn't feel dumb because Jesus had to explain it to him. He didn't say, 'oh, well fine,' like our culture of embarrassment when we're wrong. He grasped on tightly to Jesus' words of correction and embraced the new knowledge and wisdom. He embraced Jesus' ability to cleanse and His desire to serve.

When Peter got to the empty tomb He ran directly in. He didn't stop to think if it was safe, if he should be doing that, or if it was best. He was searching for Jesus and logic was out the window. I think I could learn a great deal from the character of Peter. After all, he's the Rock, the great pillar of the church, the guy who died upside down on a cross because he realized just how unworthy he truly was and how fortunate he was to die for such a man that would wash even him of everything he'd ever done.

2 comments:

Alan said...

On a serious note, was all of that rushing and not thinking good or Peter or just a mistake that we make daily when we have our highs and lows...we(and especially so many people we know) rush to God thinking "look how good of a christian I am today" only to realize that they are not being rational and trying to prove to Jesus their worthiness...It seems to me that what God wants sometimes is for us to sit and listen

Just another side of the story, but I might have read you wrong. If I'm totally wrong, delete my comment, so I don't look like an idiot.

Katie said...

I agree with you because I think that's how we approach God because of the way we think. We think it's best to approach God rationally so that we're making the best decisions and doing what's best. I think with Peter though he didn't have the "look how good of a Christian I am today" mentality. I believe he knew how desperate He was and how unworthy of the love of Christ he was so much so that he took every opportunity to get as close to him as possible. Peter is rational in parts of his life, look at all the wisdom and discernement he brought to the church in Acts, but I think sometimes he abandoned the rational and rushed to Jesus, an authentic 'high' because ultimately he didn't care what people thought, he didn't care if he was wrong, he just needed to get to Jesus. I know I could learn a lesson or two from that