Shabby background

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Open My Eyes That I May See

2 Kings 6:8-17. " Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." I resonate a lot with this story, in obviously a very different way than the story portrays. You see, I think this type of setting happens a lot in life. Have you ever been stuck, run out of ideas, the enemy has surrounded you and you have no hope? I feel a lot of times just like this. I feel like the enemy has come "by night (surprise) and surrounded" me. I wonder what the temperment of the servant was as he conveyed to Elisha about the army surrounding them.? I know mine would have been panick "Ahhhh! They're coming to kill us. We have NO hope!" That's me though, I dare not put words in his mouth. At my first opportunity I'm so quick to turn to my own methods or antics to try my hand and see if I can survive instead of immediately, instinctively turning to God. It actually kinda frusterates me, if I'm being honest, at how rationally Elisha responds. I've always wanted to be that person who has seemingly total faith, who believes before doubting, but honestly, I'm not. My first instinct is to sceam up something that can save myself. Now my situations are not typically life and death in a physical sense as this story is (thankfully!), but all of our human sceaming, no matter how big or small it is, it's all not going to save us. And you know what? My stuff is "less" of a deal than what Elisha and his servant are up against in this passage, but honestly I envy them. Think about it- they're in a situation that they will die if they don't trust God.Have you ever truly realized that in life? Have you followed God wholeheartedly because He was the only way? There's so much in our culture distracting us, filling up life and keeping us from God and to be put in a situation where He is the only choice is actually quite freeing. I've never been in their particular situation, so I won't vouche for them, but the times I'm at the end of my rope and have no other places to turn but God, there's no greater time in life. Look at the passage- The Lord opened the eyes of the young man and he saw the mountain full of horses and chariots of fire. Did you know they're around you too as a believer? "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still" (Exodus 14:14).Do we realize the power and great ability we have on God's side? And listen to this- verse 23b says, "And the Syrains did not come again on raids into the land of Israel." They didn't even fight and nothing bad happened in particular. It means that the ability of God was so powerful over them that they stopped raiding Israel. That's incredible that the presence of God scared them away and stuck in their minds so decidedly that they stopped raiding altogether. Do I live in my daily life knowing that with God, one is a majority? a BIG majority.

No comments: