Shabby background

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A favorite poem

A poem from my quote book for you:

"From prayer that asks that I may be
Sheltered from winds that beat on Thee,
From fearing when I should aspire,
From faltering when I should climb higher,
From silken self, O Captain, free
Thy soldier who would follow Thee.

From subtle love of softening things,
From easy choices, weakenings,
(Not thus are spirits fortified,
Not this way went the Crucified)
From all that dims Thy Calvary,
O Lamb of God, deliver me.

Give me the love that leads the way,
The faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire,
The passion that will burn like fire,
Let me not sink to be a clod:
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God."
-Amy Carmichael

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I am so late in getting caught up reading your posts. This poem is really good and spoke to me. All your "thoughts" are good as usual, and I am impressed as usual, but the one I wanted to comment on is the one on prayer. I have found a good way to learn about prayer is to study Paul's prayers in his letters and, of course, prayers and praises in Psalms. I am sure you have heard many times that God likes to hear His Word spoken back to Him. If you have not read "Hallelujah Factor", get a copy from your dad and read it. It changed my prayer life. I heard in a sermon recently that Jesus only told us to pray for one thing--"send out laborers to the harvest." I had not heard this before, and I could not find another time when He told us something specific to pray for, not HOW to pray. (I am no authority, however.) Keep on keeping on. I am proud of you.
Much love, Nonnie