Shabby background

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hated for the right cause?

So we're often told in the Christian world that if we want to follow Christ we have to be ok with being hated. Sunday school teachers and pastors continue to remind us that Jesus was hated- which clearly he was considering that the same people that threw palm branches in front Him welcoming him were the same people that screamed to crucify the perfect Lamb. So Jesus was misunderstood, misrepresented, hated, slandered, persecuted, abandoned and left to die by all but His mother and John. The Christian world tells us that if we are to walk in the ways of Christ then we too must follow this path and realize that we will often feel each of these emotions and states of being; we too must die to the outside world and stop caring what they think about us so that we may live more wholly for Christ and the Glory of God.

But are we hated for the right cause? I see so often in the Christian world these trail blazers that have this massive spiritual side and parade around with an almost prophetic air exclaiming that "god told them..". I use a lower case "g" because in my opinion it's blasphemy to use any other in this case. "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whome he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also He created the world" (Hebrews 1:1-2). And then after Jesus' death the Spirit provides wisdom and power because God has left us a Helper to lead us in the right direction. This is the train, the way it works in all the worlds before and after us. I think that many followers want so badly to be fierce in the battle that they run out fighting for a cause that they haven't sat back and made sure was Biblical. I know of people that are "hated" or disrespected at least, the people that others talk about behind their backs as being "super-Christian" or a "Bible-beater". I think a lot of these people are sadly fighting the wrong cause.

I realize it's a fact that if we truly follow God we will be all of those things that Jesus was- misunderstood, abandoned and hated. But the sad thing is that I think a lot of people try to be such radicals to prove they love Jesus, as though God needs proof, that they get far off course and are hated for the wrong cause. I dread the thought of being hated if I'm honest, but God, make it for the right cause. Don't make me one of those bandwagon individuals that gets off course. Make me a true follower that stays so deeply in you that my foundation is steady and the waves of the world do not harm me but only build me stronger in you. It's such a sad thing to have so many different religions that we begin to pick a flavor that suits us instead of letting them drive us into the Bible to find truth and the church that truly follows God by the principles in His Word.

No comments: