Shabby background

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Whatever

I seriously think I have done a post about this so if you are reading this for the second time then treat it like you would holy, holy- something said twice that means you need to pay extra attention to.

So I moved to Charlotte this past weekend, and I apologize for the friends reading this right now with an open mouth because I clearly have not told you. The move has been a great choice, fresh air and fresh start (not that I needed one, God graciously gave me a GREAT college experience!). anyway, stories another day.

In my life and particularly in the last few weeks surrounding my decision and move here, I've tried to set my eyes on Jesus and follow Him where He leads to effectively follow. I find that in life we dwell on the wrong things often and that's what gets us so far off track before we even know it. We watch television or absorb ourselves in other people's drama and let those things consume us to a point that our minds become set on them and not on Jesus. "For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God" Romans 8:5-7a. All the drama that we carry around with us- the annoyances we have against friends, the way we pick out the smallest imperfections of people and rip them apart, our critical natures, our exaggerated stories- all of it are just ways that we set our minds on the flesh and not the Spirit.

So I ask God, Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, whatever is excellent, whatever is praiseworthy let me think about such things (Philippians 4:8). Because if I do, I honor God and that is man's chief end and purpose.

"Set your minds on things above and not on earthly things" Colossians 3:2. All that matters is that which is eternal. The switch doesn't come overnight and it's not permanent. We're sinners but the more practice you put in it the better you'll get. I find myself thinking "Things above, katie, things above, not earthly things" and then remembering Phil 4:8 and what classifies as "things above". If you love Jesus, it's worth the shot- it makes life less complicated.

No comments: