Shabby background

Friday, September 05, 2008

A Big Deal

I babysat some children today that reminded me of a very important life principle. As the two children stood playing with their train set, they began to argue over a particular part of the train. Each wanted the small magnetized car that which contained the important cargo unit. It was clearly the coolest part of the train so obviously they'd fight over it.. (smile). Just like children, isn't it? Someone else wants something or takes something from them and all the sudden the original person wants that particular something immediately more than they wanted it while in their possession. The boy began to whine and cry because his sister took the car. They girl began to cry when he tried to take it back.

Don't we often find ourselves thinking that what just happened is the most catastrophic and life-changing thing that's ever happened to us? Well, maybe you're not as dramatic as I am, but I know that the little things that I look back on retrospectively seem so much bigger at the time. I watched those children today and I realized that we criticize children for acting immaturely, we downplay what they're feeling because we're thinking that it's NOT a big deal AT ALL and they should calm down. But now that I think about it, I bet people older than me would say the same thing about similar moments in my life if they were to look in. I get so frazzled about events that happen, particularly right now in this transition, when in reality things don't matter as much as we think. GOD IS IN CONTROL. God knows. IF my eyes are Heavenward then the small events of my life wouldn't seem like as big of a deal. When things change I would totally believe that God has my good and my growth in mind and I should trust Him.

So it's interesting that as I look at these squabbling children I realize we're not so different- forgetting to look Heavenward and put others before ourselves. Forgetting to put our "problems" into perspective and get our list of importance in line. All that matters is that which is eternal. Father, forgive us for our humanness.

No comments: