Shabby background

Monday, September 29, 2008

Our Salvation

"Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation. Our God is a God of salvation, and to God, the Lord, belong deliverances from death" Psalm 68: 19-20.

God is our salvation. Webster defines salvation as "deliverance from the power and effects of sin". God is our salvation. God is our deliverance from the power and effects of sin. Often I focus on being forgiven, asking for it and realizing I'm going to heaven if I follow God. I forget that the road is not about my pursuit, it's about God. Our salvation is not our passion, our drive or our fight to achieve eternal life, our salvation is God. I think we focus on our life here on earth, trying to do good, to be good, to produce good. Really, life's about God. God is our deliverance from sin if we have our salvation in Him. If we do, then our focus should always be on God, not on the deeds, successes we have or the souls we're winning to the Lord. Maybe it' s not a profound truth to you, but it hit me just now that God is our salvation- not OUR commitment, our Bible reading and prayer schedule, not our missionary successes, but God. We focus too much on the outer layer of Christianity instead of focusing on God. When we focus on God the other stuff just happens as a reflection of His worth to us.

No comments: