Shabby background

Monday, December 08, 2008

An excellent spirit

"Then this Daniel became distinguished above all the other presidents and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him. And the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom. Then the presidents and the satraps sought to find a ground for complaint against Daniel with regard to the kingdom, but they could find no ground for complaint or any fault, because he was faithful, and no error or fault was found in him" Daniel 6:3-4.

I could find plenty of error or fault in my own life and probably the lives of those around me if I really wanted to dig. Daniel strikes me as a very different fellow than most of the Christian world because of his deep love and aquaintance with the unbelieving world. Daniel was one of the top authorities in the entire world at the time. The Bible says that King Darius had him as one of three presidents that fell just below the king himself and had plans to make him even higher as the authority over the other two presidents. So how could Daniel achieve all of this and still have an excellent spirit that continues to be faithful and not corrupt because of his time spent?

We often say that we should live in the world but not of the world. I think Daniel had a great handle on what that means. When Daniel interprets dreams or the handwriting in chapter 5 he refuses gifts saying, "Let your gifts be for yourself, and give your rewards to another". Daniel didn't want the glory as I so often do. Daniel knew a great God that gave him that authority and he realized that it was not he himself who had accomplished anything. When I do something kind or make some great decision I want people to know about it. It seems like there are always strings attached with me and I often think about the good things I've done to someone and how they owe me when I need them for something. Daniel knew that even with great wealth and prosperity, with great riches and glory, with great acclaim and honor, that he would be "Tekel, you have been weighed in the balances and found wanting" if he trusted in the same things his King Balshazzar trusted in. I wonder if we truly know that if we trust in things of this world we will be found wanting?

An excellent spirit is found in those who steadfastly remain affixed on God and realize that from His overflow comes complete satisfaction and joy in this life. I wonder why we search for it in all the wrong places. Considering Daniels lofty position in the world at the time, we don't have half the pressure that he did to go astray and seek after worldly gain. Yet he knew that it was all inconsequencial when it came to knowing his Creator- so much so that he publicly worshiped knowing he would get thrown in the lion's den, almost asking for it.

I wonder if I ever encapsulate that excellent spirit. I'm willing to worship when I have time or its convenient but under such harsh circumstances I wonder if I would go immediately to my house and get on my knees by an open window and pray where people could hear like Daniel in chapter 6. I wonder if I could maintain that excellent spirit as well as Daniel.

1 comment:

hightsing said...

Hi Katie,
Wow! I must say your honest humility is quite refreshing to encounter online.

You in no way come over as belittling yourself or being unduly self depricating.

In the context of your thoughts on Daniel's excellent spirit your observations and sharing just communicate a boldly honest self examination that can actually be disarming. You kind of expose those of us who would want make sure the cameras get our 'best side'.

The Lord continue to bless you as you give yourself to Him. I discern that you have been with the Lord in your sharing.. and I know that such fruit as you are producing comes at a price.

With regard to Daniel but what is it or who is the excellent spirit in Him but the pre-incarnate Christ Himself. I can only think that having lef Israel as an exile Daniel must have already resolved in himself that for him, to live is Crist and to die is to gain.
Nothing else explains his readiness to defy the authorities and face the lions.

What else but living in the very presence of the one who was in the flames with Shadrach, Meshac and Abednigo could explain Daniel's readiness and wilingness to put off this tnt of the flesh and the 'glory' he had attained unto in the world.

What more can I do but ask our Father for the increase of the Spirit of Christ in my life, the increase of His excellent Spirit1