Shabby background

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Kindness

I was sitting in class on Tuesday waiting a few minutes before it started (I know shock that I was early) when one of my classmates came in. He's in a wheel chair and always makes his way up to the front and scoots a few desks around and settles in on the window side of the room against the wall in the front. His positioning makes no difference but on this particular day there were a number of desks in his way and before I could even think of a way to help this guy that usually sits close (they don't know each other, we just are creatures of habit and sit in the same places every day), this guy gets up and pulls around a few desks very casually and makes just the perfect space for him. The greatest thing to me was that it wasn't charity, it wasn't because he felt sorry for him, it wasn't to be noticed, it was second nature. It wasn't a choice, it was an instinct. What if I lived my life more life that? That kindness would be apart of me, not something I have to practice. What if I spoke to people on the streets like I was genuinely glad to see them and to find out how they were? What if I helped people not because I wanted to be noted as a great person but because that's who I am and what i stand for? These are questions that I have, challenges that i hope I listen to, but mainly these are words that humble because so much of our day we can choose to make about ourselves or we can choose to make others more important and God most important of all.

No comments: