Shabby background

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Mississippi

I seem to not be very consistent with my updates, I really am going to try harder- time really does slip away so quickly. Anyway, my Mississippi spring break trip down to Bay St. Louis for hurrican relief was amazing.

There was this guy in my group that was great- well most of the guys were great but particularly this guy. He's got one of those smiles that lights up a room and really listens when you talk and remembers things. (No crush, so let's not go there k? haha) He reminded me so much of Jesus when I was down there that it made me really enjoy being in his presence. He was always making sure I was safe, but then again always right in the middle of the fun, making up stories, running around and helping out more than anyone else was. He did all the small jobs, the ones that most people wouldn't have wanted to waste their time on. We all kind of laughed and complained all at the same time because we had one of those houses that had hardly been touched since the hurricane and so much rain had come that my best suggestion was to bulldoze and start over. But we had the task of roofing this rotten monstrosity. A few of us mucked out the rest of the inside that was destroyed by sitting there too long. So the big deal is that this was the first time I was not angry about kind of wasting time. This guy was content and encouraging and I realized that maybe my thought process about time management needed adjusting. I'm one of those make the most of each moment people, that's why I didn't like going out to loud places in early college or being in big crowds- because you're conversations with peole lack substance. I was shown in Mississippi that just because I may not be doing what would build a lot or help the most I was spending time doing good and that time was worth it. I realized that time is a precious thing but that doesn't mean that we have to be busy for all of it or that we know how to fill it best. I try so hard to make things perfect when maybe I just need to let them fall and let God work things out the best way they can be. To build eternal things, even if the process is much slower, is better than building a thousand temporal- even if the temporal is what shows other people your hard work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.